Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Action Plan

OK. There are a lot of stylists out there. They all work on your wardrobe; others will also work with your image, hairstyle, makeup, a weight loss program and even cosmetic enhancements. Just pop ‘stylist’ into you web browser and you can spend days reading about what they offer, testimonials and best of all, lots of before and after shots. Love those!
If I had the money, I’d want to do the whole she-bang, so I plan to cover the lot.

WARDROBE This will involve me finding my ‘colours’ based on my complexion and hair colour. I will work out what my body shape is and the clothes that best suit it (including underwear shoes, jewelry and accessories). I’ll do a big wardrobe clear-out, deciding what should stay and what will go. After that will come up with a list of basics I need and the stores I might find them in. I’ll check out which sales people are genuinely helpful as opposed to having me meet their monthly sales target.

IMAGE I don’t have to wear a uniform; the office I work in has a dog or two in the corner and is in my house. There is no dress code. And yet, image is one of the things I am a bit lost with at the moment and much of it is to do with age. Does anyone remember the video clip to The Hoodoo Guru’s song “What’s my Scene.”? That’s me right now. Most of my week is at home but I do try and get out a bit socially and I do attend a few courses and writers things. There is definitely no ‘corporate’ in my look. I’d say I need 55% nice casual, 40% smart casual and the rest semi-formal for the odd fairy godmother visit.

HAIRSTYLE Everyone has a particular face shape so I’m going to discover mine and find some styles that would look good on me, and also fit in with my time and money budget. I would love someone to pick a fantastic cut and colour for me but I'm sure I can't afford the maintenance. I’ll see if it’s really worth going to a flash salon or not.

COSMETICS- For over two decades I have worn the stuff and prefer the way I look wearing at least a little .I fancy I don’t do a bad job (all that practice!) but I've never had a proper instructive make-over so I’m going to try one of those to learn any trade secrets I’m missing. Based on my colours, I will treat myself to a few new things that suit me.

WEIGHT LOSS. Diet and exercise obviously. If I’m honest my diet is dreadful and I’ll confess more when I get to this bit but lets say there tonnes of room for improvement in both areas. It can only do me good.

COSMETIC ENHANCEMENT Some stylists can advise techniques available and recommend clinics and surgeons. I won’t be going that far but will research the ‘soft’ versions of beauty enhancement; the sort of thing that doesn’t involve a needle and leave you expressionless. I figure many of us pooh-pooh this sort of thing in public whilst privately being curious so I’m going to take a peek.

Well that's what I plan to cover and now I've opened my big mouth, I'd better get to it!
May I add that when you pay for a stylist you still need to add the cost of any clothes, products or services you decide to get. We’re talking final costs of many thousands of dollars. I’m going to see what I can do for myself on a much tinier budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment