Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Realm of Possibility

I had an amazing dream a few nights ago. In fact I had two. I NEVER recall my dreams so I was pretty amazed when I woke up thinking about both. My recollection was so clear that I jumped out of bed to find pen and paper before my memory faded.

One dream had been a period romantic play (I know right?!), all characters intact and plot sorted.
 I’m going to ask Kenneth Branagh to direct I think ;)

The second dream began with the discovery that I could levitate a small distance off the ground. Astonished as I was, I began to think of all the reasons that levitation simply wasn’t possible.

 Fortunately, for some reason I became aware of my thoughts and decided that since it really had happened it must be a possibility. And, if I could levitate a little, it seemed possible I could even go a little higher, so that’s what I did.

 My experiments grew until I was flying about all over the place. Every time I began to think of the impossibility of it all, I changed my thoughts. Sometimes I gave myself feasible scientific reasons why flying could be possible (Like, technically the honeybee is too heavy for flight and yet it does) and other times I just made stuff up. It didn’t seem to matter as long as I told myself a story of possibility.

At one point I thought about flying very high and started worrying about not being able to breath in thin air and feeling the cold etc until once again I caught my thoughts and actually laughed. I was FLYING and yet still I worried about the logic of something. Ridiculous!

 I flew up and up and I was fine so I kept going until I left Earths atmosphere and looked back at the planet from space. Now it seemed that since I could fly (a seeming impossibility) there seemed no reason I couldn’t go further. I flew back down to where I had begun and I decided to go under water (in a stream.) I began to think “Oh, you better not stay under water too long, you can’t breath” (I’d just been in space?!) and so I thought “Why can I not?” If I need reason, there is oxygen in the water and I will utilise that somehow. But I didn’t really need a reason anymore. It was just a knee-jerk reaction of doubt.

And so on and so on it went. I tried time travel and exploring parallel universes, all because it seemed possible based on the impossibility of what I was already doing anyway.
 Of course by now I unequivocally believed anything was possible and any lingering doubts of ‘logical impossibilities’ had disappeared.

That was how the dream ended.

 

What I took away from my dream was that YOU can do ANYTHING- just make attempt after attempt, replacing all logical doubts with ‘could be’ possibilities. Use science or fantasy, I don’t think it matters as long as you give yourself a green light story.

I also felt behind this wonderful life opening lesson for me, there was a larger story:  all rules, all laws, all logic are illusions made to anchor us in time and space to experience life from that particular point, but that all those constraints are simply not real.
 Even they are just other possibilities.

 Very aware of any constraints and limitations I may be choosing (validating the negative), I replaced any restricting thoughts with different ones like- ‘It’s entirely possible’ or ‘there’s a possibility it will/does/could/can. I even sang Sia's 'There's a possibility' at times (quietly in public!:)

 The result? Where I allowed for the possibility of good things or positive things or nice things, those are exactly what happened. Every time!

In the realm of possibility all things are possible, so you have to ask yourself: why not pave the road ahead in ‘go sign’ green and jettison any ballast holding you down?






No comments:

Post a Comment